This inaugural issue of Government arrives at a time of political uncertainty in Europe. The fallout from the global banking credit crisis is still being felt across the continent, and economies and political regimes remain volatile in its wake, with major upheavals already having taken place in Italy, Ireland and Portugal.
In such times of crisis, it is easy to lose sight of the long term focus, but solutions to ensure closer European integration and collaboration, a sustainable future for the energy sector, and more environmentally sound transportation are all necessary. This edition examines the interrelation between the ongoing economic crisis and the potential business benefits represented by the large scale transition to renewables.
It then shifts the perspective towards social issues, highlighting health challenges and focusing on the potential economic benefit of the European Commission’s reform of education policy, and concludes with a more narrow focus on Estonia, analysing a number of the country’s key policy priorities.
How is Europe tackling the credit crisis?
- President of the European Commission José Manuel Barroso explains how, following the challenges of last year, Europe is entering 2012 on a solid foundation for economic governance;
- Commissioner Androulla Vassiliou describes the positive impact education can have on stimulating the economy; and
- John Walker, National Chairman of the UK’s Federation of Small Businesses, offers an in-depth view of the impact of the eurozone crisis.
How is the EU reducing its climate impact?
- Commissioner Janez Potočnik drives home the importance of collaboration if Europe is to meet environmental challenges;
- Commissioner Günther Oettinger explains why increasing efficiency in the generation, supply and use of energy is essential for Europe’s future;
- The UK’s Minister for Energy, Charles Hendry, reflects on local efforts to respond to climate challenges through improved energy efficiency; and
- EUROBAT’s Alfons Westgeest details the need for additional support for the battery technologies facilitating the transition to electric vehicles.