Issue 7 of Government welcomes Croatia’s accession to the European Union as its 28th member state.
This development could lead to moves towards accession by other Balkan countries, and Serbia has already begun its own application process, suggesting new horizons for the future of the European project.
This edition also includes a special feature on road safety which highlights the work of the European Transport Safety Council in making Europe’s roads safer, and also discusses issues of policy and technical standards in the transition towards electric vehicles. Additionally, the publication brings to the fore the emerging technologies that are facilitating Europe’s transition towards renewables, and spotlights regional efforts to support this work.
How is Europe shepherding sustainable development?
- Commissioner Androulla Vassiliou explains how she is working to tackle the dramatic scale of youth unemployment;
- Commissioner Andris Piebalgs looks to the future of international development following the Millennium Development Goals;
- Lithuanian Minister for Foreign Affairs Linas Linkevičius details the country’s priorities as it takes over the Presidency of the Council of the EU;
- The Council of Europe’s Commissioner for Human Rights, Nils Muižnieks, champions measures to protect and promote human rights;
- Katherine Watson of the European Cultural Foundation offers her view on cultural issues in today’s Europe; and
- Wolfgang Rau of the Council of Europe’s Group of States against Corruption (GRECO) highlights some of the group’s recent work.
What shape will Europe’s energy future take?
- Commissioner Günther Oettinger discusses the potential of smart technologies to revolutionise Europe’s energy sector;
- Alfonse Westgeest of EUROBAT gives an overview of improvements in battery storage technology for greener European vehicles;
- The head of the delegation of the European Union to the United States, João Vale de Almeida, promotes the possibilities of a ground-breaking transatlantic alliance; and
- Peder Vejsig Pedersen explains how a smart approach to housing renovation in Copenhagen has improved energy efficiency.