Ahead of elections in May 2014, issue 9 of Government offers an insight into the priorities of several European Commissioners, on topics ranging from managing economic difficulties with the EU Budget, to working with member states to improve efficiency, to the increasing role of digital technologies and the need to ensure citizens have trust in the data on which these innovations rely.
This edition also profiles the commission’s approach to the ageing population, and in a comprehensive energy section, current and former commission officials discuss the infrastructure that connects the vast European renewables sector and the responsibility member states hold in energy policy.
What are the commissioners’ priorities?
- Commissioner Janusz Lewandowski outlines work being undertaken by the commission on 2014’s budget;
- Commissioner Neven Mimica explains how he will push improvements to consumer protections on a number of fronts;
- Commissioner Johannes Hahn shares a raft of ideas to support regional policy and cohesion;
- Commissioner Günther Oettinger discusses infrastructure support for European renewables, including solar, wind and wave power;
- Commissioner Maroš Šefčovič talks about how Europe can promote efficiency, as member states continue to make cuts in the face of economic difficulties;
- Commissioner László Andor emphasises the need for an urgent response to issues of poverty and social exclusion;
- Commissioner Maria Damanaki breaks down the key elements of the EU’s blue growth strategy, covering ocean energy, tourism and marine science; and
- Commission Vice-President Viviane Reding reinforces trust in data protection and the efforts Brussels is making.
How is energy policy changing?
- Philip Lowe, then European Commission Director General for Energy, gives his thoughts on the potential of shale gas exploration in Europe;
- The Lithuanian Minister for Energy, Jaroslav Neverovič, describes how the country is solving multiple energy challenges;
- Danish Minister for Climate, Energy and Building Martin Lidegaard talks about experience and best practices in Denmark; and
- Norwegian Minister for Petroleum and Energy Tord Lien talks about his country’s energy work programme.