Issue 16 of Government reflects on the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), a series of measures designed to deliver an international development agenda that is inclusive and sustainable for all. It reviews the state of the EU at this crucial time in world politics, and talks about the potential impact of the SDGs on agricultural, transport and environmental policy.
How did the UN summit affect international relations?
- Markku Markkula, President of the European Committee of the Regions, warns against growing disillusionment in the European project;
- Linda McAvan MEP, chair of the European Parliament’s Committee on Development, gave her view on the sustainable development goals;
- Tamira Gunzburg, Brussels director of the ONE Campaign, explains how the SDGs constitute a change in international relationships;
- Catherine Bearder MEP describes her recent trip to Calais, France, a flashpoint for the migrant crisis; and
- Eugenio Ambrosi of the International Organization for Migration speaks on the broader socio-economic conditions propelling the crisis.
What policy changes will the SDGs bring?
- Koji Sekimizu emphasises the role that the International Maritime Organization is playing in advancing the sustainable shipping agenda;
- The European Biomass Association’s Jean-Marc Jossart expands on the role of renewable energy in development;
- Gorm Dige of the European Environment Agency speaks to the role green infrastructure can play in sustainable development; and
- Fay Jones of the British Agriculture Bureau explains what is being done to alleviate the UK’s ailing farming industry.
What are Europe’s innovation priorities?
- Kristin Schreiber of DG Growth explains how the COSME programme is supporting small and medium-sized enterprises;
- Claire Camus from the European Network of Transmission System Operators (ENTSO-E) talks about innovation in the European energy grid;
- Theo Mitchell of the Carbon Capture and Storage Association discusses how CCUS technology could limit environmental impacts;
- The European Marine Board’s Dr Niall McDonough outlines the organisation’s research and development in ocean science; and
- The European Union Road Federation explains its vision for the future of road transport and safety.