Dometic has designed a cooling system for mobile food and beverages to appeal to the market for last-mile-delivery for online shopping in large European cities.
Dometic has designed Dometic FC which is a cooling system for refrigerating smaller commercial vehicles with tight engine compartments. These types of vehicles are increasingly popular due to the need for energy efficient city transportation of online shopping in last-mile-delivery.
Dometic states that the market for so-called last-mile-delivery is: “[Growing rapidly as] online shopping is becoming a norm for consumers across mature Western European markets. More small and electric-driven vehicles are used for such transportation in larger cities due to new regulations and environmental requirements given by the EU government.”
How the cooling system works
When the supply voltage is low, the compressor performance reduces automatically. This allows the cooling system to keep going so that the vehicle’s battery is not exhausted, to save energy and prolong life while operating reliably and at a constant temperature.
According to Dometic, the key features include:
- Fully integrated cooling system that is compact and does not require a roof-mounted structure;
- Engine-independent installation for urban emobility;
- Compressor/condenser unit placed in spare wheel compartment to improve aerodynamics;
- Highly efficient variable speed compressor for high performance, low energy consumption and longer service life;
- Easy service and maintenance;
- Lightweight – up to 40 % lighter than competitor systems;
- Automatic hot gas defrosting every two hours; and
- Easy upgrade with standby cooling kit for stationary operation.
Juan Vargues, President and CEO, Dometic, commented: “With Frigo DC, Dometic brings its innovative, energy saving and future-proof technology to the temperature controlled transportation industry. Our superior design and technology make us unique in the market and we intend to grow further in the professional vehicle business.”
Dometic is a global provider of branded solutions for mobile living in the following areas:
- Food & Beverage;
- Power and Control;
- Safety and Security; and
- Hygiene and Sanitation.
It operates in the Americas, EMEA and Asia Pacific, and is headquartered in Stockholm, Sweden.